Pages

Sunday, January 6, 2019

#LetsWrite2019: One Word



Hello!  So we went back to school on Thursday and Friday.  It really was a perfect way to reenter after Christmas break.  We had 2 new students in our class, and so we took those two days to look at our classroom community and just reengage with each other.  It really was awesome.  (And yes, I did do a face plant on my couch on Friday, but it was still awesome!)

My favorite part of last week was looking at our community and thinking about how we can take care of each other for the rest of the year.  So I introduced One Word to my first graders.  

I was nervous.  I was pretty sure it wouldn't work.  I was wrong.  

So, we talked about letting Jesus guide our New Year together.  I showed them the work I did with my One Word.  

Mine is Joy.  
As in seeing God's goodness in everything, even when it looks messy. 
It just fits this year.  

We talked about what I would do practice Joy!
1.  Give High fives and hugs after lunch recess to say "Welcome back!"
2.  Say encouraging things as often as I can.
3.  Smile-even when it's hard.  

And then I set the kids up!  
I did choose a set of words to choose from:  Love, Joy, Peaceful, Kindness, Focus, Hospitality, Sharing
I also chose Bible verses to go with them.  
Kids were allowed to choose a word that they were excited to guide them.  (If they would have asked me for a different one than what was here, I would have said yes.)
We looked at some examples of kid work in making some art work to go with the word.  
Then, off we went!  Let's look at how it went, shall we?





If you don't spend time with first graders:  
1.  You can sit by me.
2.  You can be my friend.
3.  You can play with this.  

I think we are off to a great start!  I loved the conversations and thought that went into the work that the kids did with this project.  They are posted in my room for reference if we need to see them again.  

Do you have One Word?  Want to share?

Joy!
Kendra


1 comment:

  1. Love it! I especially love the hospitality one - You can be my friend!

    ReplyDelete