Pages

Thursday, June 15, 2017

The Curious Classroom Day 2



33027382


Chapter 2 focuses on Investigating Ourselves as Classmates.  

As I consider the tie-ins to Writer's Workshop here, I have already begun outlining what the first few days of school will look like during this time.  

On page 25, the explanation of Identity Maps is explained.  Examples are shared in the next few pages.  As kids write about themselves in the first days, this gives them not only a positive self identity, but an opportunity to develop a working list of writing topics.  

As I read about identity maps, I also considered Georgia Heard's idea of Heart Maps. As my students are writing in the early days of the school year, I want that positive self identity that comes with this work.  I also want them to see that they have a story to tell, and it belongs to them.  

In the idea of partner venns (pages 28-29) kids are working side by side on a chart paper.  They begin by working on ways to describe their own identity.  Then, they study each other's side of the venn diagram, looking for things that they have in common.  As the students find them, they put them in the center section of the venn.  

2 more strategies that struck me from reading chapter two:  Step in, Step out. (page 34)  Also, the Morning Greeting Ritual.  I reflected on this so much when I was reading!  
I use the Responsive Classroom's method of a Morning Meeting to begin each day.  (I'll be writing about this later...)  But what I envision when I consider my schedule, is a check-in ritual around Mid-Morning.  With singing and dancing and a "Lightning Share".   A Lightning Share is a quick trip around your classroom circle to just check in and see what is on the minds of the kids.  I always let them pass if they don't have anything to share at this time.  

I'll say it again.  This was such an empowering read for me!  Get this book!  :)
Joy!
Kendra

No comments:

Post a Comment