Pages

Thursday, May 8, 2014

New to Me: Concept Books

My blogging hiatus can be largely attributed to two graduate courses this semester.  But, since I submitted my final assignment earlier this week, I'm excited to have time for blogging again.  I have been trying to work on my TBR list on Goodreads by genre.  My plan is to share three new to me favorites and write three sentences about each.  (I feel a math problem coming on...)  Concept books are up first.

Dog's Colorful Day: A Messy Story about Colors and Counting by Emma Dodd
This is a fun book to teach colors, which is perfect for three-year-old Little C.  Dog starts the day as a white dog with one black spot.  Red jam, blue paint, grass, pink ice cream...by day's end Dog has ten spots and needs a bath!    

Perfect Square by Michael Hall
Concept-wise there's a lot in this book -- shapes, days of the week, colors.  But my kids and I loved this story and read it over and over.  The square continually transforms into something new, including a fountain, a garden, and, finally, a window.  

Train by Elisha Cooper
This book takes readers across the country on four different types of trains -- commuter trains, freight trains, overnight trains, and high-speed trains.  The rhythm of this story seems to match the rhythm of a train.  Big B enjoyed this one..a throwback to the Thomas years.  

Happy reading!

Annie

No comments:

Post a Comment