I'm linking with Ruth Ayres, and her weekly link up. Read More about that here. And then join in.
So earlier this week, my dear friend Tia let me post some ramblings on her blog on the state of education and a new position for me after almost 15 years in the place I've been now. They are here. (Also, she is great storyteller. You should spend some time there and linger a bit on her blog.) I'm working through the bittersweet this morning...I'm leaving some amazing, amazing teachers. Yet, there are possibilities in store for me that are exciting too. This is my attempt to celebrate both.
I've been thinking a lot about teachers and education. In drawing inspiration from Ruth's format, a list of what I'm celebrating about teachers and possibilities this morning.
1. Teachers always make the best of what they are given. They create and innovate around any challenge brought upon them.
2. The possibility that I can reflect and return to my roots about assessment and instruction. This spring I'm reading these two titles again to start that reflection:
3. Teachers who are there for any student, any time. The social-emotional support that they provide for students impacts kids in ways that we can't even imagine.
4. The possibility of time. In working with a framework of a schedule, I'll be allowed to determine how we spend that time each day at school. I'm celebrating and imagining an unhurried schedule.
5. Teachers who are committed to seeing the best in kids, even when others can't. Developing and working on leadership for kids when you could be doing something else. Seeing the best in kids and what's good for kids.
6. The possibility of teaching kids about servanthood and community service, being able to participate in that during the school day.
7. Teachers who dream, worry, and prepare for their kids constantly. Breakfast foods, snacks, food bags, books, coats, hats, gloves, the list could go on. I've watched countless teachers just purchase these things for student because they needed them.
8. The possibility of time and choice for students and teachers.
9. Teachers who are brilliant. They read, study, and read some more, just to improve their practice.
10. The possibility that our Great State will realize that all kids deserve the teachers and possibilities that are listed here.
There is much to celebrate in possibilities and education.