Pages

Sunday, September 6, 2015

Celebrating Teachers, Students, Awkward Moments, and Faith.


Dear Friends, You can celebrate too!  Link up at www.ruthayres.com.  I thank Ruth for sharing her space with us.  

This blank screen keeps staring at me.  

I know there should be words.  But there aren't really.  

I attended a visitation for a former student Friday evening.  Yes, student.  

My heart is broken in such a weird way, I can't even say more about this experience to do it justice.   Except that Cancer is Mean.   

He was awesome.  When I read picture books to the class, he would laugh at the truly funny parts that first graders don't usually pick up on. From the beginning he was funny.  If you weren't paying attention, you would miss it.  He loved superheroes.  He was a superhero.  I celebrate his life and family.  You can read more about his journey here:  www.eyesteve.com.  The article is entitled, "What A Child With Cancer Taught His Doctor About Superheros."   His beautiful mama writes here:  http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/samlemar

Like I do, when I attend visitations, at that moment I could tell his parents what I thought, my introverted, weird self took over.  His beautiful parents fixed that in an instant. 

And I learned something:  Teachers, you make a difference.  We exchanged memories.  They were so gracious and kind.  The story they shared, I must confess I didn't remember!  But my dear friend who was by my side last night reminded me this is what we celebrate about our jobs.  You can make an impact and not know it.  But you do.  Keep doing that.  Last night I resolved to share more with parents about how beautiful their children are.  We need to keep sharing these stories.  

This week, we've been praying in my classroom a piece of Psalm 35.  It has stayed on my heart.  I don't know why, but God does.  (Because honestly, I'm not feeling the singing and shouting for joy...)  I'm learning to sit and wait when these things happen.  Here's the Beginning Bible Version.  :)

"May my friends sing and shout for joy!  
May they always say, Praise the greatness of the Lord.  
He loves to see his servants do well.
I will tell of your goodness. 
I will praise you everyday. "

Kendra




3 comments:

  1. Kendra, thanks for this wonderful celebration...your honesty and love shines in the darkest of times. May we continue always to praise him during the hardness of this life and even when we don't understand. xo nanc

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kendra, thanks for this wonderful celebration...your honesty and love shines in the darkest of times. May we continue always to praise him during the hardness of this life and even when we don't understand. xo nanc

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to hear of your and that family's loss, Kendra. It is special to loved ones when we tell the stories we know. You did a good thing to share your stories.I believe that it's an important thing to do. A colleague's daughter died suddenly a few years ago, unexpected although she had been ill. She had been my student and I've spent time telling her all the times I remember. I know it helps to talk.

    ReplyDelete