Two Writing Teachers host Slice of Life on their blog. Join us and link up too!
The female member of the household, Mom, emerges from behind her laptop on a Sunday afternoon after a study session lasting 14,345 hours. Heroically, she announces she will contribute to the household by cooking dinner--A chicken and pasta soup. All the children cheer and dance. Glitter is falling from the sky, and all my favorite music is playing in the background...
Okay, really, I just needed to give my eyes a break. My 3 outlets these days are cooking on Sundays, blogging, and running. It was Sunday, that means it is time for me to cook! Fall in the Midwest always asks for a nice warm bowl of soup with a little salad and bread on the side. Immediately, all the idealism falls away the minute I set foot in the kitchen.
The valiant husband runs to the basement to get the chicken as she begins to boil the noodles. When he calls out, "My Love! There is no more chicken!" she stops and maybe swears once or twice. The glitter stops falling, and the music stops playing. But only for a moment.
I follow recipes. I have shelves of cookbooks, Pinterest boards, Binders with photocopies and recipes ripped from magazines. I follow recipes. I don't "wing it". Until now.
The sun is setting, and the Small One is starting to flop around because it's 4:45 PM and he's STARVING. Mom rolls up her sleeves, her heart is beating fast, as she looks around the kitchen. A package of bacon, some ground sausage from the farm, pasta noodles...she makes notes and begins to create. And Pray. A lot. (And maybe swear once or twice again...) And then the moment of truth. The Soup is Done. She places it on the table and holds her breath. She watches in disbelief as, yes, even the Small One announces this is the "best soup ever" and finishes his bowl. (If you have a 6 year old...you understand the miracle in this.)
On Sunday, we were calling it "Uh-Oh" Soup because it was supposed to be a chicken and corn soup. In reality, it turned out to be an Italian flavored Sausage and Pasta soup. Some directions are below if you are feeling brave. Disclaimer: if you like exact measurements, directions, etc. this may not be the recipe for you. I'm still learning how to cook without a recipe, and probably shouldn't be trying to share that yet.
A food blogger, I am not. :) Good luck.
Sausage and Pasta soup. (AKA "Uh-Oh" Soup)
1. Cook a 1/2 box of pasta, I used small shells. Drain, and drizzle with olive oil to keep the noodles from sticking. Set aside.
2. While the pasta is cooking, brown a one pound package of ground sausage and cook 4 slices of bacon. Crumble the bacon after it is cooked. Set aside.
3. Now it's time for a rue. In a soup pot, cook 1/4 cup of onion in 2T of butter, until the onion is tender. Add 1/4 Cup of flour. Stir until mixed well.
4. Add 4 Cups of milk. Stir frequently, and bring to a boil. (No really, stir frequently, or things will stick. Happens to me every time.)
5. When the mixture is boiling, add 1 can of chicken broth. (It was all I had, maybe veggie broth?) Also, add 3/4 Cup Alfredo sauce, and one 2 Cup package of shredded cheese. Stir until the Alfredo sauce is mixed, and the shredded cheese is melted. At this time, I also added garlic salt and Italian seasonings to taste. I didn't measure it. Sorry.
6. Stir in pasta, sausage, and crumbled bacon. Stir until soup is warmed through.
7. Serve immediately.