This post is part of the 9th Annual Slice of Life Writing Challenge. Thanks to Two Writing Teachers for their hospitality and support! Join Us!
Last night, I was soaking in all the basketball. (Panthers, Tar Heels, Jayhawks, Hawkeyes...all the teams...) As I was scrolling through Twitter, I ran across this post from Nancy Barlow, @TheTeacherGeek.
Now, I'm thinking about my Running Juju. (See Day 1's post...)
So without further delay, here are my Big Fat Scary Running Goals for the rest of the year.
1. Start Running. Move Everyday. Come back from the time off.
2. Because I'm reliant on muscle memory, I'm toying with the idea of running Dam to Dam, a local race in June. We'll be out of school, and I would have time to finish training and taper without also managing the end of a school year. It has hills, and I cried the first time I ran it. I'm tossing around if I even run this half for time, or if I just run it to finish it and get back in the saddle again. (I sang that as I typed it.)
3. Last year my son encouraged us all to organize a 5K through our church called the Sock Scamper. We collected socks and donated them a homeless shelter in town that reserves part of its space for homeless veterans, something my now 11 year old is passionate about advocating for. We are on pace to having this again this year.
4. Run in the summer. Cross train too. Get stronger. Don't get tired. Get tired. Keep going.
5. Our great city of Des Moines runs (pun intended) an awesome half and full marathon in the fall. Run this. Run this for time? One step further: Could I get strong enough this summer to run this in under 2:00?
6. http://www.fitnesssports.com/November_races/LivHistFarms/lhf_index.html In the fall, this is a must to celebrate all the running! Off roading? Yes please. Homemade beef stew at the end? Of course. Frolicking and shenanigans? Indeed. Sometimes it is a beautiful fall morning, this past year there was 8 inches of snow. (We didn't make this past year. 11 year old making a traveling basketball debut. I would have ran in the 8 inches of snow.)
Okay @TheTeacherGeek, you inspired me to put those goals out there.
(Frantically puts on shoes and runs away from computer...)
What do you think friends? Maybe it's not running, but is there anything you are mapping out right now as goals?