Pages

Sunday, March 12, 2017

SOL Challenge Day 12: What Do You Want To Be When You Grow Up?



Two Writing Teachers are hosting Slice of Life.  Join us!


I've been sitting here for a moment trying to decide how to write about what I'm carrying right now.  It's not time to share the whole story yet.  But it's finally hit me.   Time to write.  

A couple of weeks ago, Lil T stopped me in my tracks.  We were watching state basketball on TV.  When the All State Dance Team came on, I flippantly made a remark about how I wished I had learned to dance when I was younger.  

My 8 year old says, "It's not like your life is over.  You can still learn how to dance."  
It stopped me in my tracks.  And it might have been dust, or it might have been tears.  I'm not sure...but Wowza.

Fast Forward to today, when Mr. and I are out running.  Talking about those Pie in The Sky Dreams.
Because sometimes you just have to.

I love what I do.  I wouldn't trade it for anything.  But when I grow up I want to:

1.  Open a book store in the historical part of town.  With a lunch counter in the back.
2.  Build a house on the corner where the family land is.  1/2 a mile from mom and dad.  Get a job in that county and live in the country.
3.  Get an RV.  Take a year, just one, and Unschool the kids.  Travel the Midwest.  Take in some nature and landmarks with school on the side.
4.  Consult with new teachers.  Listen to them.  Work with them.  Offer coaching when necessary.  Celebrate with them.  (Is this a job?  I mean...a stand alone job...beyond mentoring...)

I like things to be in groups of 5, but won't force that for this one.

Li'l T's words ring true here too:
It's not like life is over.  You can still learn how to dance.

What do you want to be when you grow up?

Joy!
Kendra

4 comments:

  1. I love this!
    When I grow up I desperately want to be a baby rocker! I just want to hold and snuggle babies all.day.long.

    I hope that you get to check a few of these things off your list! As in the words of my girls, "Do it! Do it! Do it!" (all said with a fist in the air pumping)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! I Still have things I want to do when I grow up! I'm going to use this as a seed for a blog post! I'll link back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you on the book store! And I want to live where there are mountains. And write a book. And learn how to code. And...I want to be a Genius and work at the Genius Bar at an Apple Store!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Kendra, I so enjoyed reading this slice. Love what your 8-year-old said...and loved reading your reflections and dreams/plans...

    ReplyDelete