This post is dedicated to 4 new teenagers that have shown me there is nothing to be afraid of.
Dear Boys, (Girls are welcome too, but these days it's the boys who are filing through the kitchen...)
When you come to my house to sleepover, we have to know there are some rules:
1. I will always have too much food in this house for you. And bottles of water on the counter, so you can feel like your needs are being met right away. Eat, drink, and laugh. A lot. You won't leave here hungry. And I'll always have fresh fruit. (Unless I don't. But I'll go get some. Fiber is important boys. And let's eat some food that God made.)
2. If your mama is out of town, and you need me to, I will hug you. Even if we haven't before. And then I'm going to text her to tell her you are okay. Because like those Mama elephants, I am backing in formation to make sure you are okay. (If you have no idea what I'm talking about with elephants, read here.
3. Every time. Every time you come here I will tell you to charge those phones downstairs. You see, I get it. I love my technology. As I type, I'm within arms length of my iPad, phone, and laptop. But when it's time to retreat, I will help you with that. To keep you safe. To keep you engaged with each other. To bless you with sleep and rest.
4. I didn't think my heart could grow any bigger watching you guys turn into tiny men. (Who aren't so tiny...) But then you exploded into this laughter that landed you under my kitchen table and it did grow bigger! The joy you have around each other makes this Mama so happy. I'm pretty sure my heart is going to burst.
5. More laughing in my kitchen please. That is really what it is there for. For the memories and the laughing.
6. It might sound like I'm up in your business a little bit. Because I am. Because there are 3 Mamas that I adore who are trusting me with you for the night. I don't take that lightly. Your banter and your chatter are safe here. I won't betray that trust. But I will know that you are safe and okay.
7. Mamas (and Papas) love it when you are lounging on our furniture. That's because we know you are safe and comfortable. You are always welcome to lounge on ours.
8. I will listen to your stories. All of them. I DO want to hear about the YouTube video with the escape room and the guys from Lowe's. You can tell it to me while I'm getting the food out.
9. I will encourage one of you to pray before our pizza. Because if my one tiny gesture encourages you to become Men who love Jesus, well then...let's pray again. Continue to build each other up so you can do justice, love kindness, and walk humbly with God together. (See Micah 6:8)
10. For the love of all that is basketball and baseball and holy, don't forget to shower before bed. Because if you haven't figured it out yet. I love you bunches. But P.U.
11. Come back soon. You are always welcome here.