Pages

Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Slice of Life Day Twenty Eight: Self Care for When It's Really Hard.





A few days ago, I wrote about self care here.

But no.  Really.  What about the days when you leave at 7 AM, and arrive home at 8 PM? 

My secret?  I don't do all those things I wrote about before. 

When days are long, and I am away from my house for 13 hours, here is what that looks like:

1.  I still eat.  
Today, I had a smoothie, more Diet Dr. Pepper than I should admit, soup, a chicken sandwich.  I also had some turkey sausage as a snack.  I can't get hungry on days like this.  So I always have a plan about what I'm going to eat.  I confess. I get hangry.  No good comes of this. 

2.  When I'm home, I rest.  
When it's possible, only good vibes here people.  I snuggle my people and pets.  I put on pants with elastic.  I get under my favorite blanket.  I read.  I write.  I visit with my people.  I drink coffee in the AM, and tea in the PM.  Those dishes don't bother me.  They will be there later. 

3.  I work my plan.  
Last night, before the crazy started today, I made a plan.  I knew what I needed to do about every 30 minutes.  And I stuck to it pretty faithfully.  Not in a "No time to visit, I need to stick to my schedule" kind of way, but a "I'm here for many hours, let's make this work" kind of way.  

That's it.  Eat.  Rest.  Work the plan.  
Some days, that is all we can do.  

Continue to give yourself a LOT of grace.  
You are doing enough.

Joy!
Kendra

1 comment:

  1. Such a great example of keeping balance and perspective! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete