Pages

Monday, January 20, 2014

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

I'm joining Teach Mentor Texts and Unleashing Readers for It's Monday!  What Are You Reading?. 

It's snowing.  Again.  But when I announced to the boys that they needed to find something to do, it got very quiet.  Then I walked in, and saw them doing this (Yay!):

Hooray!  My oldest took my suggestion and is reading The One and Only Ivan.  Li'l Bro is reading a book about birds.


So anyway, we've been reading a lot at school, and enjoying it!  I noticed this week that there were new titles in the media center.  I kept picking them up off the shelf and making a lot of oohing and ahhhing noises!  Our Media Assistant kept giggling as I kept picking books up off the shelf.  The kids are really enjoying these books in our reading lounge:







We really enjoyed Hello, My Name is Ruby.  This is a great story about friendship!  I could tell my students weren't too sure about The Dark, but it has a great ending!  They have also loved looking at Hank Finds an Egg.  

I keep a basket of library books in our small but mighty reading lounge.  This allows the kids to safely preview and try new texts without the commitment of checking them out themselves.  I keep a messy list of what I've kept in the lounge, so if they are wanting to check a book out for themselves, I can help with that.  

What are you reading this week?  My personal reading has taken a nose dive since we are back in a routine of school everyday.  I'm trying hard to make time for that, even if it's just a few pages each day.

Kendra


No comments:

Post a Comment