Pages

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

That time when #oneword blew up Twitter...


Earlier during winter break, I wrote a bit about using winter break to reflect on school so far.  (That's here: http://simplylearningtogether.blogspot.com/2013/12/in-january.html)  I am reflective by nature.  I'm always asking, "Why?" or "What if?" or "How can I make it better?" even if it's just to myself.  And I'm doing it again.

So yesterday, I'm getting my own kiddos ready for a "Noon Year's Eve" party with some dear friends, and then my phone buzzes.  And in comes a text message from a colleague that reads something like this, "I read this book, you've got to read it, call me."  Well.  Who is going to say no to a book recommendation like this!?  As we exchanged texts back and forth, the clear message was I HAD TO READ THIS BOOK!!!!

So, I meet said colleague at school, and I'm greeted with One Word that will Change Your Life by Dan Britton, Jimmy Page, and Jon Gordon.  I'm fascinated by Jon Gordon, love his tweets, but haven't read any of his stuff.  (Why haven't I?  See this post: http://simplylearningtogether.blogspot.com/2013/12/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-family.html  100 titles people.100 titles.)    The book is only about 65 pages long.  The premise is that instead of making a resolution, you focus on the idea of one word that is just for you.  You live and work on this word for an entire year.  In the book, you are walked through steps that help you arrive at Your Word.

After reading the book during nap time yesterday, I had a couple of words come right to me.  In working through the process, a word was revealed to me:  Strong.

When I researched the meaning, I was struck by several definitions that really described who I want to be:
"not easily disturbed, upset, or affected."
(of a person's character) "showing determination, self-control, and good judgement."
"firmly held or established"
"possessing skills and qualities that create a likelihood of success."

As I did this, I also had a Bible app open on my phone and pulled out 9 verses that use the word strong that really resonated with me.  In the book, being in prayer is one of the steps used to determine Your Word.  So I did that being a person of faith, and really learned a lot.

Strong covers and helps define a lot of what I hope to achieve this year.  At school, at home, when I run, when I'm with my family, when I'm with my friends, when I decide what I'm going to eat, at church...the list could go on and on.

This morning,  I smiled a lot when who was on the Today Show (A link to the interview here: http://getoneword.com/todayshow/),but Jon Gordon himself.  Before I knew it, #oneword was blowing up my Twitter feed.  Here I thought I was reading this cute little book that would help me focus my year, and then I started to see the hash tag and the links to blogs with great ideas and thoughts for the new year from wonderful Educators everywhere.  Awesome.  I hope you have a great 2014.

Have you shown interest in this?  What is your word?
Kendra

3 comments:

  1. I just updated my goals post before reading this. Apparently, we are drinking the same water!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still mulling over my own word, but I appreciate the details here for the idea.
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't heard of the One Little Word book. I knew there was a website in which Ali Edwards started asking everyone to find One Little Word. I'm going to have to check into this book. Your word strong seems a perfect fit for you.

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete