Pages

Thursday, December 5, 2013

Inspiration (#nerdlution 4)

As a classroom teacher, I felt bombarded (in the most wonderful way) with feedback.  I could listen to students read, hear them talk about books, look at how they solve problems, and confer about their writing.  I knew my teaching was working if students were learning.  Knowing if coaching is working is more complicated.  We collect data towards self-selected goals, but I am one step removed from student learning.  The change process takes time.  And the more I know, the more I know there is to do and to learn.  Sometimes I feel knocked down and discouraged, but then an incredible conversation with a teacher reminds me that we are moving forward.

As I was getting ready to write my post, I read that Nelson Mandela passed away today.  This quote seemed the perfect inspiration and reminder for today and the days ahead.

Nelson Mandela  

Annie

1 comment:

  1. This is so true - "Sometimes I feel knocked down and discouraged, but then an incredible conversation with a teacher reminds me that we are moving forward. "
    And it reminds us to lean on each other, too. To go it alone and to struggle alone is an isolating experience. Building a sense of community and connections is what helps me think of my role as teacher in a different way, as part of a larger experience. And I know I have friends I can turn to for advice.
    Have a great day
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete